Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Take Away: This American Life's "Good Guys Story 1


So I've been a long listener to NPR's weekly show "this American Life" for many many years. I've actually listened to every single story they've broadcasted over the years, mainly because it's a very good show, and because when I'm doing cataloging work, it keeps me sane. Anyway, for their March 20th show they did story about "Good Guys" and as a interesting lead into the show they did a story specifically about "The Good Guy Discount." The story goes into the ins and outs of actually asking for and expecting a discount on every day things you and I buy every day. The basics are "I'm a good guy, you're a good guy, any chance you can pass a long a good guy discount to me over this sale?" It actually took nearly a year for the producers over at This American Life to actually do the story. The main producer found the whole idea "smarmy" from the start, mainly because you're really asking a total stranger to do and give you a big favor while costing yourself money/work/time over a small transaction to start with. Deep down, this isn't really the behavior that a good guy should be doing. Or maybe it's just moxy? Anyway the story tries out the premise at several different places and in most cases, they get a no. Basically it's not so much a no, but a "we don't do discounts unless they are advertized. 5 No's in a row, plus they go back and ask store folks about it. Most simply don't give it, or it's just not open to most people. They try mom and pop stores as well as chain stores. It's small sample, but you get the idea, but they get one yes in 5 tries and it's a single %5 discount. At the end of the story they straight up saying we shouldn't try this, partually due to what a real good guy is, and what a good guy's real behavior should be.

Anyway, take a listen for yourself
This American Life - Good Guys
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/551/good-guys-2015

Now skip forward to today and I'm at lunch and I'm overhearing a very loud conversation about the story in question. I was shocked to hear what I did, which was 180 of what they were saying. They only heard and understood that if you ask retailers for a good guy discount, you could be saving money. Oy vay, I hate people.

Anyway, here's a photo I took the other evening in berkeley

No comments: