Friday, January 6, 2017

Oh Boy

So, earlier this week I applied for a limited seating (30 spots) Professional Practice Workshop with Magnum Photos. The location (SF), price (2 days & $400) and subject "Longterm Photographic Projects" all kind of came together for me. The first was obvious (the class was local, when Magnum normally isn't), the price might seem like a bit, but really it's cheap in-comparison to many of the photography classes I'd actually take. The Subject was the final sell to me, if I said where I need work in my personal exploration of the photography it is expanding my sense of narrative in my work. I'm weak here and I could use some help if you ask me. As I tell myself I'm a good snap shot shooter, but working with the something bigger has been my stumbling block when it comes to developing my photography skills.

San Francisco Professional Practice Workshop: Longterm Photographic Projects

The deadline was end of this week, so I rushed my application quite a bit, but first up I had to 5 photos for a portfolio review. I shuffled into my flickr account to find a decent example of work. I also had to write up two separate paragraphs concerning Personal Statement/Expectations and Project Description. As most of you know, I am not a writer in any way shape or form (thank you dyslexia). The Personal Statement was OK, but it rambled a bit and kind of weak too. The second paragraph was even weaker, mainly because I haven't really done any long term photo projects. Ugh

Anyway, back to the photos and lack of a second paragraph. So I went into my photo collection on flicker and started to look for photos that I took in the last year, that didn't so much tell a story of a narrative, but looked at my work, skill and environment. I carry a camera with me almost every day and everywhere. I've always documented what was around me, so that was the best place for me start. I started off with about 10 photon in whole, all of them involved people and environment of a sort. Their was a mix of 35mm B&W film, color digital and was taken on 3 very different camera's as a whole. Here are the finals I submitted.

UC Berkeley, just outside of the Edwards track stadium on the street side - summertime. I was carrying my 35mm Fuji TX1 panoramic rangefinder camera at the time when I saw this person on the steps with the sun beating down upon him. He could have taken to the shade 9where I was at the time under a tree), but he was here, just off the street, with a little of solitude from college and busy streets. The classic architecture and physical disposition just seemed to at odds and together at the same time. I was maybe 15 feet away when I shot this

Buzerkeley.039782

Donner Summet Tunnel - IF you're ever north of Taho, CA near Truckey and Donner Pass, you'll find some very nice hikes and rock climbing spots. I actually made my way here because I was looking for combination of a nice hike and some rocks to scramble on and shoot (with the camera) and some exploration. This fit the bill, as this is an abandoned turn of the 18/19th century railway tunnel that today is hikable, but also is of sort a mecca for graffiti artists. While exploring I could smell spray cans and found 2 artist at work, at the same time this couple passed me and just were kind of ignored what was going on. Click. SHot was on the m240 + a 28mm f3.5 Nikkor-W lens (about 60 years old lens).

L1002224

This was shot in a bar, in the Mission District of SF. I was in this particle bar to meet and get my book signed by Jim Goldberg. I actually shot 4 photos here of him signing another gentleman's book here, but this was the only one where he looked up and it was oddly blurry, but more in tune with atmosphere. I wish I had shot lower angle here, but the movement blurriness and lighting do sing out drama here. This was also kind of plant photo as Jim also works for Magnum. But since you'd have to read the book on the table to possible figure this out. M7 + 35mm 2 cron asph

Oregon.049861

I was looking for another color photo when I was reminded of this photo, it's a UC Berkeley Pep Rally. I work for UC Berkeley and at least M-F I do not shoot photos of the students at UC Berkeley. You'd think that CAL would great source for me to take photos since I'm in that environment you'd think I'd have an ample amount of photo from here. But the students are here to learn, and when I'm at work my rule of thumb (for me) that I don't take photos. So this photo is from weekend pep rally. I've been shooting the band off and on since I moved to Berkeley, so this means I shoot them 3-4 times a year during football season. I'm an old band dork and football bores me to death. Anyway, this photo was taken a few months ago, I was actually off to the side of the band, ready to video the tuba/sousaphone players as they come out of the band and skip around. But before they did I looked to my left and took this photo. It was magic hour and this photo had drama written all over it. m240 + 35mm f2 corn.

L1002985

This is Soupcan. I've known Soupcan now for about 16-17 years. I met him first at the 2nd annual Las Vegas Vintage Scooter rally in 2001. Since that time, I'd run into 1-2 times a year at some scooter rally here on the west coast, either in the Bay Area, or in Portland Oregon and I've probably documented Soupcan more then I have any other vintage scooterist as a whole. When Soupcan is at a scooter rally this will be his perfect storm of all that is the Soupcan (though this depends on age and few other notes). It is his people, who he loves dearly and it time to catch up. This is Soupcan at his own scooter rally in Sacramento CA. As you might tell, he is telling us something every passionate. M7 + 50mm f1.4 lux.

SpringScoot.016202

So after applying, I reread my weak 2 paragraphs and went to bed thinking, I'm not getting in, 30 seats open and I'm not really up to snuff. right? Most of the magnum workshops that I've looked into in the past fill up very quickly and since they wanted to know a bit of info here my thoughts were, their have to more qualified applicants. Seriously, how could 30 more qualified photographers not have already applied for this? Or at least 30 better writers then me. But low and behold 2 days later I got my acceptance letter.

So, at the end of the month I'll be spending 2 days at this workshop. Day one will mostly be lectures, day 2 I'll have the 5 above photos figuratively torn to shreds. I an nervous but excited too. Oy vay

No comments: