Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm just like all these other collector losers

"You think it's healthy to obsessively collect things? You can't relate to other people, so you fill your life with stuff... I'm just like all these other collector losers. "

I've been a collector of crap off and on during much of life. As a teenager it was comics, albums and old games. The music kept coming and I still buy CD vs downloading and copying all my friends music for some odd reason. I'm now back to four scooters (2xLambretta's and 2xVespas). I'll need to get rid of 2 of them in the next year if I want to keep from letting the obsession back into my life. Camera's are another "thing" i have too much of too. I can at least use a camera to create other things so to say, so they are not really an obsession in my book since they are like brushes, paint and canvas of sorts. Tools after all. Oddly enough it took me a long time to really look at collecting and collectors.

When I restored film I worked with a "Film Collector" who fucking drove me nuts. He always wanted everything we were suppose to throw out. It took looking at his obsession to really put my own obsessions into light. My parents sold the house I grew up in, it was easily for me to take all my childhood obsessions and sell them off. Really easy actually. The comicbook and games went quick and easily. But I turned around and stared the scooter buying very quickly after that. One fueled another. When I moved to Portland I was easily able to get myself to sell off all my running scooters too. Didn't need em, best to find em a good home. The nicely restorred TV175 Lambretta I built and rode once was easily to sell off too. I hope I can do it again as easily with the two scooters I'm currently building. That having been said, I know i need to get paid if I do!

Currently I'm being lazy about my book collections. Honestly I'm not about to ever open half of these books I read 10-20 years ago.

No comments: