Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Left Behind

My old work is starting to hire on a lot of folks for the next feature and oddly enough I'm feeling left behind for some odd reason. Part of me is thinking that I'm missing out on this. I have stories to live and tell in some respects that I can tell anyone about working on a film. The thing is that I really don't want to work on films. I haven't in years. I took the jobs I did with my last employer not because I wanted too, but because I needed too. I wanted to work, and when I worked the production I was miserable, in part because it sucked so much of my time and life away from me. I nearly kicked me out of grad school and I never had time to do anything including work, school or even keeping up with friends and family. I was bored in my first position to boot. I was snappy with sarcasm and quite an asshole at times too. When I landed my second gig at the same place, I was happy. I was going to do work I liked and wouldn't have to work 50+ hours a work. So things settled down, I finally had some time and wasn't really any happier to be honest. Why? The place wasn't interested in my work at all. I was bored again and didn't like the place I worked at. Honestly for the last 3 years I feel like I've been spinning my wheels in place and not moving forward with life. Portland seriously has had that effect on me as a whole too. If I can find work some place else I'll be happy to leave I hate to say.

Months ago when I dealing with that animation company in NYC, I was really looking forward to the change in life. I had always not wanted to work let alone live in NYC, but I've been craving change and NYC might have been perfect. Who knows.

ANyway, I wish the new crew on the new film Laika the best.

No comments: