Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Music

I haven't spent a dime on music in oh so many months. Part of the reason for it, is that I've been trying not spend money, and part of it is because I can't find what I want locally at a price I'm willing to pay, or simply can't find. That's one of the very few things I miss about LA. I had two very good used places for my CD buying needs. But in Portland, the used is easy to find, but selection can be hit or miss for me. Anyway, I'm not quite a poor as I wnated to be as I got some pre-birthday money recently and as such, I hit amazon. The prices look good, but the $3 shipping makes everything nearly retail as far as used prices are concerned.

My music listing has been up and down as recent too. For much of the last year, it's been a heavy rotation of 60's and 79's era ska, rocksteady and some reggae and more modern stuff like the X, Pixies, Pogues or Wilco. On the older stuff, the emphasis on licks of Toots and Maytals, Derrek Morgan, Tommy McCormick, and similar stuff. Right now, most of that is off my playlist as I've had a big hankering for the Stax sound, some classic soul or Billy Bragg material. So I did hit the EM Music and found some stuff too.

Local Selection:
Otis Redding - Live in London and Paris
Sam Cooke - Rythem and the Blues

My Amazon selection:

Clash - Live a Shea Stadium
Billy Bragg - Brewing up with Billy Bragg (extended version)
Billy Bragg - Life's a Riot with Billy Bragg (Extended version)
Erma Franklin - Golden Classics
Sam Cooke - Live in Harlem.

Though I wished Ihad added some Toru Takmitsu too.

No comments: