Saturday, July 24, 2010

Oddly Enough

This morning I was checking my flickr account and found someone had emailed me. This tends to be odd since I really rarely get email via fickr and most of it isn't interesting to say the least. Anyway, the email was from someone I had gone to high school with. Actually we go back farther then as we had played baseball back when we were 8ish. I had been off and on again posting photos from my days back in southern California that took place in Pasadena. Most of these are architectural photos, but I had also posted a couple of childhood photos of me and my sisters (class & little league photos) that showed off something about the surroundings of Pasadena.

Anyway, this morning my former little league companion was looking at this same group and found my photos of our team (see below for the photo in question) and emailed me. Now I was never really close with the person in question though our parents had been friends for a while. We had different friends and activities so our paths really never crossed very much. After 20+ years now I'm really only in contact with one other person I went to high school and really haven't saught out anyone I went to school with. I went to two high schools as a teenager. The first was a decent catholic prep school and while I liked the Brothers who taught there, I felt a big disconnect with reality with the kids as many were what you call "white flight" folks who feared non-white kids at the time. I remember bringing my jr high school year book to school and having more then one reaction to all the "Black" folks I had gone to school with. I had a few good friends from my two years among the catholic white kids,but over the years I've lost track most of them.

My second high school was at a Pasadena public school, but a real oddity school at that as it was an early magnet school and it ended up attracting many of the fundamentalist kids who's parents couldn't afford to send their kids to private christian schools. If I felt disconnect from the white catholic kids, I really felt disconnected from them as a whole. My home life was pretty awful too during this time and making new friends wasn't high on list of things to do. Plus I was bored pretty quickly with school itself and spent as little time as possible at school or with folks from school. My only school activities were track (which I was mediocre at) and two years of Yearbook. I liked yearbook mostly because of who taught/over saw the class. While looking back I can say that I didn't like really only a handful of kids I went to school with, again the real feeling was sense of disconnect or never really connecting with most of these folks.

After graduating I really never looked back nor did I have any intention of keeping up with anyone from that school. I should say that I still had a number of good friends through high school, I just didn't go to school with most of them and hung out with them on the weekends or during the summer. I'm still friends (from a distance now) with most of this group. Though I do feel disconnected from them.

A couple of years later I ran into Peter E, who had been a year behind me, we had a couple of classes and few years later we both ended up working together at two different companies. We even produced a mutual friend's film together. Most of the folks I thought of as friends during high school were also older then me, so I really had few friends my own age.

Anyway, 20 years later I have to say I was surprised to get the email in question. Oddly enough I found myself quickly looking them up on facebook and sending out the friend invite. They've actually kept in touch with folks from the 2nd high school, but looking at that list of folks I find a lot of familiar names and even faces, but as I looked, I felt no need to friend any of them I hate to say. I'm disconnected and will probably stay as such.

Note - having taken a quick look at many of my former classmates from back in the 80's I had to giggle at how many of them now strike me as 40 year old "Bro's".
God I'm awful and should go to hell for that.



Pasadena little league

No comments: